Presbyterian Women 2013-2014
Presbyterian Women offers female adults opportunities to meet in Christian fellowship. It organizes activities geared to informing women of the role they can play in serving Christ at Highland and supporting Christ's mission in the U.S. and worldwide. Presbyterian Women offers many opportunities for spiritual growth through Bible studies, retreats, classes, service, Women's Luncheon Series, and other seasonal events. For more information, contact Peggy Koelsch. Activities are planned for ALL women of Highland Church and their guests.
Opportunities for Fellowship 2013 - 2014
Watch for information coming soon for 2013-2014.
Presbyterian Women offers female adults opportunities Opportunities for Study
2013-2014 - Most Bible Study Groups will be using the 2013-2014 Horizons Bible Study - An Abiding Hope ( The Presence of God in Exodus and Deuteronomy) by Janice Catron The evening Bible Study group is using The Present Word.
- Rachel (Horizon Bible Study) - First Tuesday in homes - Time: 9:30am - Contact: Marge Herrmann
- Mary-Martha (Horizon Bible Study) - First Wednesday in homes - Time:11:30am - Contact: Mary Kay Hymes at email@example.com
- Esther/Deborah (Horizon Bible Study) - Second Monday at Jen's Pottery Den - Time: 9:15am - Contact: Barbara Droz
- Lois (Horizon Bible Study) - Second Wednesday in homes - Time: 1:00pm - Contacts: Elaine Johnson, Vivian Westman
- Julia (Horizon Bible Study)- First Tuesday in homes - 7:00pm - Contact: Karen Hirte
- Ruth-Naomi - First and Third Tuesdays at Highland - Time: 9:15am - Contact: Heather Mingle.
- Holy Huddle (Horizon Bibel Study) - Every other week on Thursday - Meets at Highland - 9:30am Contact: Mary Kay Hymes at firstname.lastname@example.org will use study other than Joshua.
- November 2012 - The Thank Offering (PCUSA Mission)
- February 2013 - "Blankets+" Month was "Blanket and Tools of Hope" (PCUSA Mission)
- Birthday Offering (PCUSA) - Least Coin money given at Annual Spring Gathering.
Highland PW Mission ProjectLocal Missions 2012-2013
- Campbell's Soup Labels for Education collected for two Lancaster City elementary schools. Look for the new collection receptacle in the narthex.
- "Bare Necessities" collection in October and Bake Sale for children's underwear and socks. Will be donated to the Lancaster County Council of Churches.
- Cambridge Lancaster Stocking Project - Making Christmas gift bags for the residents of Cambridge Lancaster
- Card Ministry - Cards are sent to women of the congregation to acknowledge life transitions and events.
- Highland's Presbyterian Women support mission projects of Church Women United of Lancaster County. Opportunities for Creative Outreach
- Highland Quilters
Coordinator: Mary Kay Hymes - 560-3824 or email@example.com
Hearts and hands work together to sew quilt projects for those who need them. From church banners, to the 2008 Anniversary banner, to "Farewell" art works, to colorful lap quilts for children in El Salvador or critical disaster areas, the quilters cut, stitch, tie/knot and quilt to share with others the talents and gifts that God has given to them.
PW BOOK DISCUSSION GROUP
2012-2013 PRESBYTERIAN WOMEN BOOK DISCUSSION GROUP LIST
Purpose: As Christian women living in and not apart from our world, we in Presbyterian Women hope to offer a safe environment for women to meet to discuss the challenges and opportunities of life as presented in the book selected.
This book group, sponsored by Presbyterian Women, is open to every woman in Highland's congregation. The reviews are held on the fourth Wednesday of the month, from September to June, at 12:00 noon in Room 204 - with two exceptions: November and December the group meets the third Wednesday due to Thanksgiving and Christmas. Check the Sunday bulletin or in the office for any changes in time or place. Books are reviewed either by a volunteer facilitator or spontaneously by the group. It is hoped that each person will be familiar with the book selected for that month. Each woman may offer insights and opinions from their personal experiences in a safe environment. Books for the following year are chosen from suggestions of recommended books by those attending the final meeting of the year. Books are chosen from a broad range of subject matter. One classic or non-fiction is usually included on the list.
Books have been selected by the PW Book Discussion Group for 2012-2013. The books designated for the first four months are:
September 26 – The Greater Journey – David McCollough
October 24 - Killing Lincoln – Bill O’Reilly
November 28– Year of Wonders – Geraldine Brooks
December 19 - Miss Julia Renews Her Vows – Ann B. Ross
January 23 - The House at Riverton – Kate Morton
February 27 – Little Bee - Chris Cleve
March 27 - To Kill a Mockingbird – Harper Lee & Scout, Atticus and Boo – Mary McDonagh Murphy
April 24 - The Widower’s Tale – Julia Glass
May 22 - Dreams of Joy – Lisa See
June 26 - Looking for Salvation at the Dairy Queen – Susan Gregg Gilmore
The Book Discussion Group meets the fourth Wednesday of the month except December (meets third Wednesday because of holiday) at 12:00 p.m. in Room 204.